Movie Analysis for Substance Abuse Disorders
This assignment correlates with the Varcarolis’ Foundations of Psychiatric-Mental health nursing textbook by Margaret J. Halter, 8th edition
28 Days (2000)
Crazy Heart (2009)
The Spectacular Now (2013)
Leaving Las Vegas (1995)
Clean & Sobber (1988)
Drugstore Cowboy (1989)
The Five Heart Beats (1991)
***You may choose a movie of your choice with Substance Abuse depicted.
Assignment: After watching the movie, identify and analyze the portrayal of the featured mental illness in a “simple” analysis paper. Note:
• You are NOT creating a summary or “review” of the movie.
• You are analyzing the characters’ portrayal, and movie’s depiction of the “substance abused disorder”.
To make the disorder become more relevant, you will address three components of the film:
1. Accuracy of portrayal: How is the character shown to have a substance abuse disorder? Does the film discuss substance abuse? What are the “typical” symptoms and how are they displayed? How is the condition diagnosed? What are the diagnosis criteria for the illness depicted in the movie? Does this character meet that criteria? Be specific, how is the illness communicated to viewers and to other actors in the film? In what ways does the movie accurately represent the disorder or misrepresent it? Explain using an example(s) from the movie.
2. Treatment recommendations: How is the disorder “treated” in the movie you chose? If the movie does not discuss a treatment plan, what is the most appropriate treatment plan for the disorder? (Please use your book or journal articles to find the most up to date treatment option for the client in the movie).
3. Pick ONE of the three following points to address, choose one that applies to your film:
a) Professional ethics: How are the doctors and therapists depicted? What are their interactions with the ill character? How are these professionals helping or hurting the situation? What is the purpose of depicting mental health care professionals in this light?
b) Perpetuation of stigma: What are the false statements or depictions of mental illness in the film? Are there accurate depictions? How do you know? Why are aspects of illness so misrepresented?
c) Attitude change: How did characters in the film change over time in their attitudes towards mental illness? How did this film change your attitude about the depicted illness?
4. Discuss personal reaction and analysis of the movie.
Analysis Paper, Template: (APA Format! Remember to double space, proofread for spelling & grammar!)
Paragraph 1: Introduction to movie and the depiction of mental illness in the movie (your main sentence within this paragraph will indicate what your three points are going to be.)
Paragraph 2: Accuracy analysis of the movie: How is the character shown to have a substance abuse disorder? How is the disorder communicated to viewers and to other actors in the film?
What diagnosis criteria did the character meet, or not meet?
Paragraph 3: – Treatment analysis and recommendation: How is the substance abuse disorder “treated” in the movie? What treatments are available? (Especially if this movie is older, are there new therapies?) Discuss possible treatments appropriate for this character, not specific medications or anything, but long-term goals.
Paragraph 4: Pick your third topic and answer the questions.
Paragraph 5: Personal reflection: What was your reaction and analysis of the movie?
Possible Paragraph 6: No need to provide a summary paragraph, but it is a good rule of thumb to go back to your main sentence in the first paragraph and make sure you hit all the points that you said you would address
Plagiarism Free Papers
All our papers are original and written from scratch. We will email you a plagiarism report alongside your completed paper once done.
All papers are submitted ahead of time. We do this to allow you time to point out any area you would need revision on, and help you for free.
A title page preceeds all your paper content. Here, you put all your personal information and this we give out for free.
Without a reference/bibliography page, any academic paper is incomplete and doesnt qualify for grading. We also offer this for free.
Originality & Security
At Homework Sharks, we take confidentiality seriously and all your personal information is stored safely and do not share it with third parties for any reasons whatsoever. Our work is original and we send plagiarism reports alongside every paper.
24/7 Customer Support
Our agents are online 24/7. Feel free to contact us through email or talk to our live agents.
Try it now!
How it works?
Follow these simple steps to get your paper done
Place your order
Fill in the order form and provide all details of your assignment.
Proceed with the payment
Choose the payment system that suits you most.
Receive the final file
Once your paper is ready, we will email it to you.
We work around the clock to see best customer experience.
Our prces are pocket friendly and you can do partial payments. When that is not enough, we have a free enquiry service.
Admission help & Client-Writer Contact
When you need to elaborate something further to your writer, we provide that button.
We take deadlines seriously and our papers are submitted ahead of time. We are happy to assist you in case of any adjustments needed.
Your feedback, good or bad is of great concern to us and we take it very seriously. We are, therefore, constantly adjusting our policies to ensure best customer/writer experience.